Super gig weekend - Sep 30 to Oct 2
Friday, Sept 30
There are a few good gigs on Friday night to kick off the weekend.
- At O-Nest in Shibuya, the American indie-rock band Yuck will be supported by Kyoto indie-pop group Homecomings (details).
- Over at Shimokitazawa Three, you can see some local pop bands for free, including Jappers, Wanna-Gonna and Luby Sparks. Judy, who appeared at Farm Party 15, will be DJing (details).
- Tropical Death, who rocked last month's Farm Party are performing at Varit in Roppongi (details).
Saturday, Oct 1
Where do we start for Saturday night? There's too much going on but here are a few of the highlights.
- Shelter in Shimokitazawa has two LOUD gigs planned on Saturday as part of its 25th anniversary. During the day you can catch the mighty Guitar Wolf paired with the explosive DMBQ (details), and in the evening you can experience the noise god Masonna (details).
- For something a bit more laid-back, there's a nice little festival on at Shirahama Flower Park in Chiba called Beach Tomato Noodle featuring a bunch of bands like Boys Age, who played Tokyo Gig Guide's Halloween Party last year, alongside Tempalay and Gi Gi Giraffe (details).
- I'm afraid Morrissey's show at Yokohama Ball Hall is sold out!
- Never fear, there's so much good stuff happening at 20000 den-atsu in Koenji for Koenji Pop Festival. You can see some cool bands from the fringes of pop like BUMBUMS, luveless and lo-shi, who played Farm Party 15 (details).
- Back at O-Nest in Shibuya, there's a diverse collection of artists playing, from the post-rock group Soha to the Lightning Bolt-esque Moja and the electronic duo Young Juvenile Youth (details).
- Twelve new wave, experimental, punk and weirdo bands including Compact Club, The Dead Pan Speakers and GROUNDCOVER. will be destroying Shimokitazawa Three (details).
- For some improvised sounds, Pool in Sakuradai is hosting the Australian ensemble Golden Fur with guests (details).
Sunday, Oct 2
If you have any money left, there are still plenty of things happening on Sunday night.
- Let's start with the loud ones. Noise legends Hijokaidan are playing at Akihabara Goodman along with their WTF vocaloid project Hatsune Kaidan (details).
- For hardcore and other cores, head to Hugo in Umejima for MEKARE-KARE, Horse & Deer, cunts and a swathe of other wild groups (details).
- Continuing with the unorthodox sounds, free-jazz outfit Kiyasu Orchestra, who played at Space Fête 3, are putting on a show at Forestlimit in Hatagaya with Gloptin x PUNSUCA, DJ Memai x L?K?O and more (details).
- Some other odd artists are gathering at Loft in Shinjuku for Fuzz'em All Fest. See Ruins alone, JON (the dog), TsuShiMaMiRe and more (details).
- A bit quieter but no less weird, the folk legend Kazuki Tomokawa is performing over at Graffiti in Akasaka (details).
- German improvised jazz saxophonist Peter Brötzmann will be joined by some distinguished Japanese guests at Super Deluxe (details).
- Or if you prefer to just chill out, Morgan Fisher is playing some meditation music at his home studio (details).